You have found this page because you are either curious, you have heard of this happening or your dog just ate some gorilla glue.

If your dog just ate gorilla glue, whether you think it was a tiny amount of glue or the whole bottle,


Our 9 year old female Golden Retriever "Cedar" managed to get her paws and eventually her teeth and tongue on a boxed bottle of this glue. Cedar chewed easily through the box and the cap and proceeded to spread the glue around the kitchen floor while also ingesting some of it. The bottle is relatively small
(2 ounces) and based upon the amount of glue remaining in the bottle, the amount previously used and what was found on the floor, I estimated she consumed about 2-3 teaspoons (1/2 ounce) of the glue.

See MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheet) for product information and precautions in regards to this glue

We watched Cedar's behavior carefully after this incident not knowing the magnitude of danger this glue had when ingested. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary the first week after the incident happened but after 7 days she threw up a meal. We attributed this to other causes, changed her diet slightly and continued to watch her behavior. Aside from some minor spit ups, she continued to eat and drink normally, bark, play and otherwise "act normal".

Pictured to the right is Cedar's stomach outside of her body during emergency surgery.

Hedging on the side of caution we made a vet appointment, just to be sure everything was ok. As you may have guessed by the pictures, things were terribly wrong. Who could have imagined a small amount of glue turning into a huge mass inside their dog.

I guess your wondering exactly what your looking at. Well, your looking at the reason you need to get your pet to the vet right away! Even a small amount of this glue once ingested into the body, it begins to expand, getting bigger and bigger with the consistency of dense foam that eventually hardens.

Don't make the same mistakes we did.
Get your pet to the vet RIGHT AWAY!!

Pictured to the left is the foreign object being removed from Cedar's stomach by the veterinarian.

Pictured to the right is a close-up of what the veterinarian removed from Cedar's stomach and what a small amount of gorilla glue turns into. For the record, the strange object to the right weighs in at one pound (16 ounces) and measures approximately 6" by 8"

From what I can tell from reading other stories on the Internet about dogs eating gorilla glue, it happens often. As I understand it, once opened the glue smells appetizing to the dog and if they can get a hold of it, they will. So please keep this glue and all other types of glue out of reach of your children and pets, preferably in a locked cabinet.

FYI - The amount of glue ingested is estimated at 2-3 teaspoons or 1/2 of an ounce. This is the equivalent of 1/3 of a shot glass. Mixed with stomach contents and time you get something totally different! See picture at right.

If your dog ate Gorilla Glue -- Get your dog to the vet RIGHT AWAY!

6/2/2011 8:00pm Cedar is now home recovering from her surgery.
6/2/2011 8:20pm Cedar has vomited a 6" puddle of dark brown fluid suspected to be blood. A call to the veterinarian lets us know this was expected.
6/3/2011 5:20am
I have stayed awake most of the night to check on Cedar hourly. Cedar appears to be doing ok but just in case, the emergency clinics address has been pre-programmed into the GPS of our vehicle.
6/3/2011 5:55am I have detected movement from Cedar and found her up and about in the kitchen where we have her confined. I have sat with her and pet her head telling her she will be alright. She is wearing one of those lampshade things on her head to prevent her from messing with the  stitches on her belly. The incision is quite long.
Note: For the next two weeks we must ensure her "lampshade" stays on and she does not manage to remove it. I am told if she gets to her stitches, she will lick and bite at them and continue to do so until she gets inside the incision and even then she will not stop until it is to late. Constant monitoring is a must!
6/3/2011 6:30am Cedar has returned to sleeping and my wife has gotten up to get ready for work. I am going to let her watch Cedar for a bit and try and get a couple hours sleep. I will stay home today and continue to monitor her.
6/3/2011 9:30am Cedar does not appear to be as groggy and has tried a few ice chips.
6/3/2011 1:00pm I offered Cedar some rice camouflaging the 3 pills she will take twice daily for the next 10 days. She eagerly went for it until she realized rice just isn't that good alone. To get her to take the pills we hid them in a small piece of bread with a dab of peanut butter to hold them in place.
6/3/2011 7:30pm After boiling a chicken breast, I have chopped a bit of it and combined it with the rice to offer Cedar a small meal.  Apparently the chicken made the rice much more appealing as Cedar devoured this meal in no time flat. I am glad to see she has an appetite again.
6/42011 6:30am I have taken over for my wife who has taken her turn spending the night downstairs waking hourly to keep an eye on Cedar
6/3/2011 9:15am Cedar appears to be returning to her old self and is anxious for her chicken and rice meal and not as anxious for her three pills. It should be noted that Cedar is the first girl I have cooked a meal for in quite a long time.
6/3/2011 2:30am We continue to keep an eye on Cedar who is mostly resting. Asia our Himalayan cat appears to be getting in on the action and hanging close to her friend Cedar.
6/4/2011 Cedar is much more alert today and has consumed two small meals of boiled chicken and rice.
6/5/2011 Cedar has not had to go yet. The vet said it may take some time to "refill the system." While mildly concerned, I will give it another day or two to see what happens. All this attention has helped Cedar regain her voice as she now barks hourly during the night for attention.
6/9/2011 Cedar visited the vet tonight and we found her incision and stitches were doing well. It will be another week before the staples can be removed.  I have to wonder how some pet owners deal with transporting their pet after an operation as we had to back our SUV up to our front steps and use a wooden ramp for her to get into the back. At the hospital we backed up to the highest curb and repeated the process.
6/11/2011 My wife and I have slept in our living room during all of this, taking turns waking every 2 hours to ensure Cedar has not managed to remove her protective collar, the lampshade as I call it. As you recall from an earlier post, a dog may lick and bite at the incision and without getting into details not knowing when to stop.
6/11/2011 Although the doctor was not overly concerned during our visit on the 9th, Cedar has not yet passed #2 and only had a minimal #1 performance on Friday morning, the 10th. We worry that the doctor may have missed something.
7/1/2011 Cedar has made a full recovery and could not be happier that her cone has been removed.

I will continue to update this page with her progress recovering from this ordeal.


Keep this glue and all chemicals out of reach of children and animals.

9/6/2016 Countless dog owners have visited this website since its inception in June of 2011 and many dogs were likely saved over the past few years as a result. It is however with great sadness that I must let everyone know that Cedar has passed on September 6, 2016 due to an ongoing seizure disorder. Born in April of 2004, Cedar was almost 12-1/2 years old when we said goodbye. This site shall continue on in her memory so that more dogs are afforded the opportunity to survive when faced with the ingestion of this glue.

~ Rest in Peace my beautiful girl, you will be missed by so many,
but mostly by your Daddy and your Mommy, Jim and Jeannette. We love you so very much. ~


Hug your pet today and everyday